The Williams Academy Bears are well known for their competitive teams. The school is the host of the Capital Athletic League, which is comprised of 7 schools. Athletes participating in this league compete in flag football, basketball, softball, track and soccer. This is a co-ed league for all students regardless of skill level.
Students in the athletic program must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA and meet all required criteria to be eligible.
Student athletes must abide by the Athletic Code as set forth by the school. Signatures of both parent and student are required as acceptance of the Code. Code books shall be provided by team coaches prior to each league season.
Interscholastic athletic competition should demonstrate high standards of ethics and sportsmanship and promote the development of good character and other important life skills. The highest potential of sports is achieved when participants are committed to pursuing victory with honor according to six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. This Code applies to all student-athletes involved in interscholastic sports in California.
Williams Academy athletes are expected to:
- Do what is right even when it is unpopular.
- Fulfill commitments to the team and school.
- Be loyal to your school and team by putting the team above personal glory.
- Treat all people inside and outside of school with respect.
- Be gracious in victory and accept defeat with dignity.
- Be respectful; do not engage in disrespectful conduct of any sort including profanity, obscene gestures, offensive remarks of a sexual nature, trash talking, taunting, boastful celebrations, or other actions that demean individuals or the sport.
- Treat game officials, opponents and coaches with respect.
- Be a student first, knowing that the primary responsibility of a student-athlete is academic achievement.
- Remember that participation in sports is a privilege, not a right.
- Consistently exhibit good character and conduct yourself as a positive role model on and off the field.
- Be a positive role model; do not use any illegal or unhealthy substances, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or performance-enhancing drugs.
- Exercise self-control. Do not fight or show excessive displays of anger or frustration.
- Honor, observe and enforce the spirit and the letter of rules and regulations.
- Maintain academic eligibility.
- Be at school for a minimum of one-half day in order to participate in any extra-curricular activity.
The Williams Academy school administration, athletic director and coaches believe that students who are selected for the privilege of membership on teams should conduct themselves as responsible representatives of the school. In order to assure the integrity of the athletic code of conduct, the athletic director and coaches will enforce this Code of Conduct. Furthermore, matters which are brought to the attention of the Williams Academy staff concerning members of teams who fail to abide by the Athletic Code of Conduct are subject to disciplinary action by the Athletic Director. Members of teams must always serve as exemplars of high moral character and must demonstrate appropriate academic commitment. As recognized representatives of The Williams Academy, team members are expected to exhibit appropriate behavior whether in season or out of season, on campus or off campus.